Recherche rapide

Richard Hadland

Richard Hadland

Lieu de naissance : Virden, Colombie Britannique, Canada
Date de naissance : 22 février 1924

Lieu de décès : Dawson Creek, Colombie Britannique, Canada
Date de décès : 30 janvier 2012

Dick was born in Virden, Manitoba on February 22, 1924.
The Hadland family moved to Baldonnel, BC where he grew up working on the farm, going to school and playing hockey at the corner.
In 1938 he attended High School in Fort St John.
In 1942 he attended Craigdarroch Castle (predecessor of the University of Victoria) for Senior Matriculation. That summer he worked as a chainman for BCLS Duncan Cran, as they surveyed the road to the Beaton River Airport which was of the Northwest Staging Route during WW II.
In 1943, he enrolled at the Royal Roads Naval Officers’ Training School in Victoria. He was discharged due to a damaged eye and an old knee injury.
He attended the University of British Columbia, from which he graduated with a Bachelor of Agriculture. While there, he continued to play hockey, this time for the UBC Thunderbirds.
He loved farming and with his father’s Army Surplus TD 14 cat and a WD9 tractor and so Dick embarked on a lifelong venture to farm ‘across the Beaton’. Many enduring friendships were made during the development of the farm. It was in 1947 that he met Arla and they married in 1948. This marriage resulted in the birth of Terry, Randy, and Marion. This led to a busy period of farming and raising their children.
Dick’s love of quality farm machinery led to his involvement and part-ownership of Wepsan Sales.
Dick was President of the South Peace Seed Cleaning Co-op, served on the Canadian Grain Commission and won first place for the best grain sheaves at the Dawson Creek Fall Fair.
He was active in supporting Minor Hockey by being a coach and a Commissioner.
He also helped with the first speed skating oval in Dawson Creek. This was during the days when ice preparation and snow clearing was all done by hand. Dick’s sons Terry and Randy participated in this sport.
Together they had raised their family and developed a successful farm. Dick’s life changed with the passing of Arla in 1984. This began his phasing into retirement.
He met Luella at a Groundhog Day Singles Dance in Fort St. John and they married in 1986. Together they traveled, visiting with relatives old and new. On cruises to the South Pacific and the Panama Canal, he sought new sights in company with Luella.
With Luella’s encouragement Dick was actively engaged in the blending of his and her families. Both of Luella’s sons, Geoff and Steve were employed in the family farm and formed an attachment with Dick. In Luella’s words ‘Dick restored their faith in mankind by being a role model’.
In particular, he formed a strong attachment with both Jenny and Megan. Grandchildren plus Great Grandchildren were now happening. He enjoyed them all.
Dick and Luella took an active interest in Tim and Arlo’s hockey careers
In the past year and a half, Dick had a life struggle in which he was lovingly supported by Luella and the whole of his blended family.
One of Dick’s last pleasures was having Luella drive him in the van to see the country.
Dick passed away January 30, 2012 at 87 years of age.
Dick had a long life well lived and was lovingly supported by his family.
In family circles, it has been said that Dick was lucky to have been married to two wonderful women.
Dick was cremated and a’ Celebration of Life’ service was held on Monday, February 6, 2012 at Bergeron Funeral Chapel, Dawson Creek, British Columbia.
Memorial Arrangements entrusted to Bergeron Funeral Services.



Rendre Hommage

Écrire un hommage

comments powered by Disqus

Recherche rapide

Soumettre un avis

Créer un site Web

Créer un mémorial virtuel